Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Universe Is Testing Me

My job situation is a bit tenuous.  It's the nature of what I do.  I'm a contract consultant, and although I'm on many long projects, I always run the risk that one of my clients will cut me, which they can do at a moment's notice without owing me anything except for a firm goodbye and a handshake.

I've been a contractor for several years, and I've somehow become comfortable with the instability of it all, which is strange, given the fact that I'm such a control freak.

All this to say that the client that I've been working almost exclusively with for over a year has now decided that they want me off of their books.  We thought about having me work for them full time, but we can't make the numbers and the levels work.  So, essentially, I'm working until the Friday before my surgery, and then I'm screwed.  It's the end of the year and I will be jobless, and cut wide open without the ability to interview for a new role.  I'm surprisingly calm about this, which only means that the severity of my situation hasn't yet sunk in.

I'm sure it will.  And soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment